Bully jailed for brutal attacks on girlfriend - The Rugby Observer

Bully jailed for brutal attacks on girlfriend

A YOUNG Rugby woman who ‘loved as well as feared’ her violent and controlling partner kept quiet after he had poured boiling water over her.

It was only after another attack 18 months later, during which bullying Andrew Smith kicked and stamped on her head and broke her arm, that the police became involved.

And 36 year-old Smith, of Warren Close, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, was jailed for a total of two-and-a-half years after pleading guilty at Warwick Crown Court to two charges of assault.

Prosecutor Caroline Harris said according to Smith’s victim, he ‘exhibited some aggression and jealousy’ during their three-year relationship.

They were living together in Brownsover, Rugby, in November 2013 when he deliberately poured boiling water over her upper thighs.

She was also ‘beaten ‘til she was black and blue,’ and controlling Smith even set fire to some of her clothes.

The victim got away that night and went to her father’s home, from where he went with her to hospital.

She did not report the incident to police, but her medical notes described burns and blistering to her thighs and lower groin, bruising to her neck and body, and bleeding from her ear.

But their relationship continued, and on her birthday in 2015 Smith organised a celebration at a nearby pub.

Things turned sour when they returned home, and Smith assaulted her again, punching her to the face and knocking her to the floor.

She lost consciousness, but the attack continued, and she came round as he was still kicking her and stamping on her head.

As a result of that attack, she was in hospital for four days and had a fracture to the top of her right arm – but again she refused to report the matter at the time.

When the police did finally become involved, the victim said at first Smith had been ‘absolutely perfect,’ but that had only lasted for about three months before he became violent.

The victim, who lost a modelling contract because she did not feel attractive enough as a result of Smith’s behaviour towards her, said: “I loved him as well as feared him, which is what kept me captive for so long.”

When Smith, who had numerous convictions for violence, was arrested, he claimed the scalding to her thighs had been caused by her spilling some hot tea on herself, and that he had helped her by pouring cold water on the area.

Lee Egan, defending, said: “He has not been in trouble since 2015, and he is making efforts with respect to the difficulties he has had in his life.”

Jailing Smith for 15 months for each of the assaults, Judge Andrew Lockhart QC told him the woman was the subject of violent and controlling behaviour which had seriously affected her life.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.