Drone nearly caused house fire, sparking warning from firefighters - The Rugby Observer

Drone nearly caused house fire, sparking warning from firefighters

Rugby Editorial 3rd Jul, 2019   0

A DRONE which nearly caused a house fire has prompted a safety warning about leaving electronics charging unattended.

Firefighters were called to a home in Leamington on Friday afternoon (June 28) after a parent smelled smoke in their son’s bedroom. They found the room choked with smoke from the smouldering plastic.

The remote control helicopter had been plugged into a charger not originally supplied.

Firefighter Gareth Walton warned using the wrong charger could cause overheating.




He said: “Obviously this was a very scary experience for the residents living in the property and it serves as a stark reminder not to leave items charging on materials that could catch fire such as carpets or bedding.

“Always place drones and mobile phones on to a safe surface when charging. Make sure you buy genuine chargers for your items and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.


“In this instance, it would appear that the charger being used was not the original charger and therefore allowed the helicopter to overheat, which had it not been caught early, could have had devastating consequences.”

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Advertising

Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Rugby Observer.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.