'Hero' neighbour's quick action prevented house fire from spreading - The Rugby Observer

'Hero' neighbour's quick action prevented house fire from spreading

Rugby Editorial 11th May, 2017   0

A QUICK-thinking neighbour has been praised for preventing a house fire from spreading by dialling 999.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke billowing from a house in Northcote Road in New Bilton at around 8.30am on Wednesday May 9.

Fortunately nobody was home when the fire started in the kitchen – and a fire alarm alerted the neighbour who called emergency services.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service Response Commander Adam Coope said: “Whether the neighbour realises it or not, they really are the hero of the day.




“We know that working smoke alarms save lives, which is why we are constantly telling people just that.

“However, on this occasion, the smoke alarms activating in the house fire meant that the neighbour was alerted quickly and was able to call 999. This ensured that we were able to respond quickly to the fire and stop it from spreading any further.”


The fire is believed to have been caused by an overheated or faulty kitchen appliance.

Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/homefiresafety for information on fire safety.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Rugby Observer.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.