HEADS were bowed in respect when the town observed the traditions of Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday.
Rugby Borough Council and the Royal British Legion held a two-minute silence at 11am on Armistice Day (Saturday November 11) in memory of those who gave their lives for their country.
Maroons were fired to mark the beginning and end of the silence at Whitehall Recreation Ground in Hillmorton Road.
The Mayor and civic party processed to the memorial gates in Hillmorton Road on Sunday (November 12) for the annual remembrance service and parade.
The service was taken by Reverend Imogen Nay of St Andrew’s Church, assisted by Father David from St Marie’s Church. The exhortation was given by Martin Myatt of the Royal British Legion, Rugby No.1 Branch. The Kohima Epitaph was given by the Mayor’s Cadet, Dru Clarke, Rugby and District Sea Cadets and Royal Marines Cadets. Music was provided by the Salvation Army.
Some 20 contingents took part, including the 250 Gurkha Signal Squadron (30 Signal Regiment), 4-Para D Company, Royal British Legion, ex-service organisations, cadet units, civil and voluntary organisations, scouts, guides, girls’ brigade and boys’ brigade.
The units assembled in Hillmorton Road to be reviewed by the Mayor before they marched on parade in front of the memorial gates.
During the service, two minutes’ silence was observed and wreaths were layed by the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Warwickshire, the Mayor, the units on parade and members of the public.
The service was followed by a special commemoration with the family of Lance Corporal Maurice Lewis Lett of the Black Watch. Lance Corporal Lett was killed on February 25, 1945 during a battle in the Reichswald Forest on the Dutch/German border, aged 19. He lived on Manor Road in Rugby, and his name has recently been added to the war memorial gates.
Photos by Mike Baker.