Police investigating reports of people being 'spiked' in Warwickshire bars and nightclubs - The Rugby Observer

Police investigating reports of people being 'spiked' in Warwickshire bars and nightclubs

Rugby Editorial 8th Nov, 2021   0

WARWICKSHIRE Police is investigating reports of people being drugged and having their drinks spiked in bars and nightclubs.

The force has also issued safety advice amid a spate of people being spiked – either through something being put in their drinks or through injection.

Ch Supt Suzanne Baker said: “Warwickshire Police is investigating several reports from the past few weeks of people having noxious substances administered to them in bars and clubs. These investigations are in their very early stages.

“All venues should be aware of these types of issues but we will be doing extra work with them over the coming weeks to reinforce this messaging.

“The main advice is to be aware of the signs, take precautions to protect yourself, look out for your mates and report anything suspicious to bar staff or police immediately.”

A police spokesperson said the symptoms of drugging can vary depending on what has been administered, but could include lowered inhibitions, loss of balance, feeling sleepy, visual problems, confusion, nausea, vomiting and unconsciousness.

They also issued the following advice.

How to avoid drink spiking:

  • Some venues give out drink stoppers for bottle tops to prevent someone dropping something in your drink
  • Never leave your drink unattended, whether it is alcoholic or not
  • Do not accept a drink from someone you don’t know
  • Avoid drinking too much
  • Stick together with friends, and look out for each other.

What should you do if you think your drink has been spiked or you’ve been drugged?

  • Tell the people you’re with and make sure you are somewhere where you feel safe
  • Alert a member of staff at the pub or club you are at
  • If you feel unwell you should seek medical attention immediately and tell them that you believe your drink has been spiked
  • Report it to the police as soon as possible. Drugs can leave the body in as little as 12 hours after consumption so it’s important to get tested quickly.

What to do if you think a friend has been drugged or had their drink spiked:

  • Tell a bar manager, bouncer or member of staff
  • Stay with them and keep talking to them
  • Call an ambulance if their condition deteriorates
  • Don’t let them go home on their own
  • Don’t let them leave with someone you don’t know or trust
  • Don’t let them drink more alcohol – this could lead to more serious problems.

Anyone with information that could help police with their ongoing enquiries about these offences should call 101, or 999 if a crime is in progress. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.