OVER a year of road closures in Rugby has begun, to allow upgrades to Rugby’s water supply network.
The rolling programme of upgrades began on Monday (June 6), with teams starting work in Bridget Street and Corporation Street.
It is part of water supplier Severn Trent’s £1.57million ‘essential’ upgrades, which will see the replacement of 5km of pipes in the area.
Teams will move from street to street replacing the water pipes over the next 13 months.
Other roads to be affected during the first phase of the works, finishing in November, include Bakehouse Lane, Bennett Street, Edward Street, Evreux Way, George Street, Little Elborow Street, Oliver Street, Plowman Street, Rounds Gardens, Rowland Street, Stephen Street, West Leys and York Street.
Temporary traffic measures – including some road and lane closures – will take place in affected areas. Access to homes, businesses and emergency vehicles will be maintained, and signed diversion routes will be in place.
Severn Trent says the new pipework will ‘improve resilience, reducing the chance of leaks or burst pipes and ensuring a consistent supply of clean, fresh water for generations to come’.
Paul Baxter, Head of Water Networks at Severn Trent, said: “Network upgrades such as these are a key part of our commitment to reduce interruptions to our customers’ water supplies, ensuring the consistent delivery of clean, fresh and safe water. The installation of new, modern pipework will also help us to meet our goal of reducing wasted water by cutting back leakage by 15 per cent.
“We’d like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience these works may cause. We’ll be doing everything that we can to minimise disruption and we’ll be looking to get the works completed and everything back to normal as quickly as possible.”
Severn Trent added that interruptions to water supplies may occur during the works. Cards will be posted to affected residents 48 hours before work starts.
Visit www.stw.works for more information.
When and where disruption will take place during the first phase of the works (up to November)
- Bridget Street (junction of Oliver Street to Victoria Avenue) – Road closure; week commencing June 6; seven weeks
- Corporation Street (junction of Lawford Road to Evreux Way island) – Lane closure; week commencing June 6; 10 weeks
- Little Elborow Street (junction of Corporation Street) – Lane Closure; week commencing June 13; 10 weeks
- Rowland Street – Road closure; week commencing July 11; three weeks
- Bennett Street (junction of Rowland Street to junction of Oliver Street) – Road closure; week commencing July 25; five weeks
- Evreux Way (Evreux Way island from junction with Corporation Street to junction with Newbold Road) – Road closure; week commencing August 1; three weeks
- Oliver Street (junction of Evreux Way island to Dale Street) – Road closure; week commencing Aug 15; four weeks
- Stephen Street (junction of Rowland Street to junction Oliver Street) – Road closure; week commencing Aug 22; four weeks
- Oliver Street (junction of Evreux Way island to junction of Lawford Road) – Road closure; week commencing September 12; nine weeks