Rugby man broke into terrified ex-girlfriend's house - The Rugby Observer

Rugby man broke into terrified ex-girlfriend's house

Correspondent 29th Dec, 2016   0

SHAKING with rage, a young man climbed through a window into his former girlfriend’s bedroom and assaulted her.

But Tyler Whyte escaped being jailed after spending eight weeks in custody on remand.

Whyte had pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court to burglary at the house and assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

Whyte, 19, of Parkfield Road, Rugby – who was said to have learned ‘a salutary lesson’ – was given a 12-month community order, and ordered to take part in an offending behaviour programme.

Prosecutor Ian Windridge said Whyte had been in a relationship with his victim for a short period at the end of last year.

When he began trying to contact her again, she ignored him.

On October 8 at 10pm, she was using her phone in her bedroom when a hand came in through a small open window.

It was followed by an arm as Whyte reached in to open the larger window and climbed into the room.

Alone in the house and frightened over what he might do, she ran into another room.

But Whyte followed her, telling her he wanted her back – and, having picked up her phone, punched it, cracking the screen.

Terrified, she tried to escape, but he grabbed her and threw her to the floor where he stood over her, shouting at her and shaking with rage.

But he then seemed to collapse to the floor, and she ran out of the house, pursued by Whyte.

She went to a neighbour’s house from where the police were called, but Whyte followed her and began banging on the door and shouting.

He ran off when the police arrived, but was caught, and on him he had keys he had taken from the house, intending to use them to let himself back in later, and her phone.

When he was interviewed the next day Whyte said he had been staying with her for the previous three days, but that they had argued, and he thought it would be ‘cute’ to climb back in through the window.

He told officers all he had wanted to do was talk to her, and that he had grabbed the phone to stop her calling the police, but denied deliberately smashing it.

Whyte was initially given bail with a condition that he had no contact with her, directly or indirectly.

But he was remanded in custody when he started sending her Facebook messages.

And Nick Devine, defending, said that Whyte, whose only previous conviction had been for a theft in 2014, had been in custody for eight weeks.

Judge Sylvia de Bertodano observer that was a long time for someone ‘who has never been inside a detention centre before’.

And Mr Devine added: “It has been a salutary lesson for him. He now accepts the relationship is over.”

Sentencing Whyte, Judge de Bertodano told him: “I suspect you feel now that was a rather different Tyler Whyte to the one who has been sitting in prison for the last eight weeks.

“I know you have had time to have a good long hard think about what has happened.

“It seems to me that eight weeks is a very severe sentence indeed, so I am going to deal with you is a way I hope you will find helpful.”

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.