Rugby town centre curry house fined for string of food safety offences - The Rugby Observer

Rugby town centre curry house fined for string of food safety offences

Editorial Correspondent 18th Aug, 2017 Updated: 21st Aug, 2017   0

AN INDIAN restaurant in Rugby town centre was served with a £7,300 legal bill after pleading guilty to a string of food safety offences.

The Masala Lounge was prosecuted by Rugby Borough Council after a routine inspection uncovered a number of hygiene breaches.

Environmental health officers visited the Castle Street restaurant in March when it was open and serving customers.

While in the kitchen, the officers spotted a waiter blowing on a plate of poppadoms. When challenged, the waiter said the poppadoms were “too hot” to serve to a customer.

Another member of staff changed his shoes in the kitchen, storing the unworn pair next to a tub of peeled onions under a kitchen worktop before washing his hands in a sink used to wash food.

The officers discovered chest freezers with split and mouldy door seals, a dirty fridge and chopping board, and a hot food cabinet covered in grease and dirt.

The kitchen’s insectocuter was in poor condition and officers also found an uncovered crate of poppadoms.

A storeroom next to the kitchen had cracked wall tiles and an open bag of flour, while a storeroom on the first floor had food ingredients stored next to DIY tools, a vacuum cleaner, paint tins and computer parts.

The officers also found the kitchen was operating without a food safety management system, suggesting staff were failing to carry out regular, routine safety checks.

Following the inspection in March, an officer returned to the Masala Lounge earlier this month to find the restaurant had failed to address a number of the hygiene and safety issues highlighted during the original inspection.

And at Nuneaton’s Warwickshire Justice Centre on Tuesday (August 15), Monjur Choudhury, sole director of Masala Lounge Indian Restaurant Limited, pleaded guilty to six offences under the food hygiene regulations.

Mr Choudhury apologised to magistrates for failing to maintain good hygiene standards at the restaurant and said the safety breaches in the kitchen and storerooms had now been addressed.

He added a food safety management system was now in place at the restaurant and he had paid for staff to go on food hygiene training.

Magistrates, noting the work carried out at the restaurant had been done at “the last minute”, fined Masala Lounge Indian Restaurant Limited a total of £4,600 for the offences.

The company was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £120 and the council’s £2,587 costs – a sum Choudhury disputed due to the fact the firm paid business rates.

Speaking after the hearing, Rugby Borough Council environment and public realm spokeswoman Coun Lisa Parker said: “Cutting corners on food hygiene puts the health of customers at risk, so it’s vital food businesses adhere to the highest standards at all times.

“The council’s food safety team offers advice and support to businesses so owners understand the legislation and implement the necessary measures to run a safe and hygienic kitchen.

“When businesses ignore our advice we have no option but to prosecute, which can result in a very expensive day in court.”

Businesses can contact the council’s food safety team at [email protected] or on (01788) 533851.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.