Warning as faults found in third of electric blankets in Warwickshire - The Rugby Observer

Warning as faults found in third of electric blankets in Warwickshire

Ian Hughes 19th Oct, 2017   0

FAULTS were found in one in three electric blankets safety-tested in Warwickshire.

More than 350 tests – on 288 blankets and 63 small electrical devices – were carried out across the county by trading standards working with an electrical engineer.

As well as faults found with a third of the blankets, one in four of the electrical items were also potentially dangerous.

Problems identified included faulty switches or damage to internal wiring, while others were the subject of product recalls, and some were so old they did not have any overheat protection designed to stop them catching fire if a fault develops.




Warwickshire County Council safety spokesman Howard Roberts said: “Faulty electrical devices are a contributory factor in many house fires and I’m pleased that through this service we have been able to both give residents confidence that their appliances are safe and remove unsafe electrical products from people’s homes.”

The electric blanket testing campaign has finished but owners are urged to check the safety of their own blankets by looking for warning signs, including worn or frayed fabric, scorch marks, damaged or missing tie tapes, worn flex and loose connections.


Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk for further details.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Rugby Observer.