Callum Powell rescues a point for battling Rugby Town - The Rugby Observer

Callum Powell rescues a point for battling Rugby Town

Rugby Editorial 3rd Dec, 2015 Updated: 27th Oct, 2016   0

CALLUM Powell’s second half strike earnt Valley a point from a tight encounter at a sodden Butlin Road last Saturday against the Evostik NPL – South Division’s in-form side, reports Jon Venner.

Having taken the lead in first half stoppage time, Spalding were looking set to extend their four match winning run but Town emerged after the interval with increased vigour and Powell’s equaliser was just reward for their endeavours.

The first real chance of the game had also fallen to Powell with only a couple of minutes on the clock, but he leant back as he shot and sent the ball over the top of the frame.

Paul Walker then got a head to a Josh Moreman delivery, but the United defender could only help it wide of the target, while Kevin Thornton put a free-kick from the edge of the area into the side netting for the home side.

The dangerous Moreman was soon causing more problems, with Tom Ryan doing well to get across to block his effort, as Spalding steadily upped the pressure with a number of dangerous balls into the Rugby penalty box.

Another Thornton free-kick drifted wide of the target as the heavy rain continued to hamper the players, and just as it looked like they would retreat from the elements all-square, Walker popped up at the back post to head home Adam Jackson’s cross – with Town’s latest keeper Sam Andrew outdone by the ball skidding off the greasy surface.

In the opening seconds of the second half the hosts made an immediate impact, with Powell scooping one over the bar from an angled position, and then another decent Valley move just failed to produce a telling end-product.

Rugby were level on the hour though, when Spalding keeper Michael Duggan misread the trajectory of Powell’s powerful shot, and let it squirm through him into the back of the net.

Town were now having their best spell of the match, and Powell put in a further threatening ball.  The introduction of Jake Healy from the bench further boosted Valley, and he was quickly in the game – having a good run down the right wing before his cross was blocked out for a corner.

Fellow substitute Aaron Opoku then poked one wide of the post, but the visitors stepped up the tempo themselves too, and Mason Rowley did well to cut out Walker’s dangerous near post delivery.

These roles were reversed in the last meaningful moment of the game though, when Walker blocked Rowley’s header to a Steve Towers’ free-kick on the goal-line.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience