Cup joy for Old Laurentians at home to Kidderminster - The Rugby Observer

Cup joy for Old Laurentians at home to Kidderminster

Rugby Editorial 17th Oct, 2016 Updated: 27th Oct, 2016   0

Old Laurentians 59-24 Kidderminster

RFU Intermediate Cup – Midlands Division

Report by Bill Wallis

IT LOOKED as though Saturday’s clash between Old Laurentians and Kidderminster was going to be close encounter with the visitors leading 12-7 with 20 minutes gone, but the hosts found their feet to record a comfortable win.

Once this re-shaped, OLs found their feet and swept their opponents aside, picking up momentum as the game wore on and running in nine tries.

Injury and availability issues meant that almost the whole of the previous week’s 2nd XV three quarter line were promoted for this match and they did the team proud with an accomplished display.

Kidderminster’s first score was on the board with just three minutes played but OLs reacted positively and slick handling sent right wing Miles Feeney over for a try on his debut.

Kidderminster hit back to increase their lead to 12-5 after 20 minutes with a simple try around the blindside of a scrum close to the home line.

When Kidderminster were penalised shortly after the restart scrum half James Collins took the penalty quickly to snipe over and touch down, Jon Bean adding the goal points to bring level the score.

Ash Moore, impressive in just his second start for the team, barrelled over to complete a spell of mounting OLs pressure, with Bean converting the try to give OLs the lead for the first time, a position from which they never looked back.

Early in the second half hooker Dom Hammond charged through midfield for a fine try, Bean added the extras and OLs were now well in control. Minutes later and Kev Vince ran on to a finely judged kick from Ben Roach to score, Bean’s conversion lifting the score to 33-12.

Centre Luke Billyeald was playing his first game in the firsts team for several years and demonstrated his strength and power with two tries in the space of five minutes. Bean converted one and OLs had pushed out to 45-12.

OLs were guilty of relaxing at this point and Kidderminster went over for two quick tries, reducing the home side’s lead to 45-24 with just a few minutes left.

Stung into action, OLs hit back with two late tries of their own, first Bean taking a pass from James Orbinson to go over, then lock Ben Anderson was up in support of a break by Ben Roach to touch down, Bean converting his own try and Vince adding the goal points to the second.

OLs return to league action on Saturday when they travel to Stamford for what is probably the first ever meeting between the clubs.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.