FOOTBALL - Rugby Borough continue title charge with victory against 10-man Desford - The Rugby Observer

FOOTBALL - Rugby Borough continue title charge with victory against 10-man Desford

Rugby Editorial 2nd Mar, 2022   0

RUGBY BOROUGH moved further clear at the top of the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division with a 2-0 win away at 10-man Desford.

Goals in either half from Lee Thomas and Brennan King were enough for Borough to take the points and end Desford’s seven-match unbeaten run in the process.

The result means Rugby are now five points clear of nearest challengers Allexton and New Parks with three games in hand.

And Borough took the lead on 10 minutes when Thomas finished high into the net after Lewis Commins stepped over Dale Linton’s cross from the right.

The visitors were then given a golden chance to double their lead when Thomas was fouled in the box only for Jim Farrow to see his spot kick turned around the post.

However, the referee ordered a re-take after the Desford keeper moved too early and Farrow was left red-faced after he picked the same spot only to be denied for a second time.

And Borough were awarded another penalty early in the second half when Commins rounded the Desford goalkeeper only to be brought down with the goal at his mercy.

King duly sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot on 55 minutes to double Rugby’s lead and the home side would finish the game with 10-men after a needless challenge was made on Farrow.

Borough are next in action at home to Fleckney Athletic on Saturday, March 5 with kick-off at 3pm at Kilsby Lane.

Elsewhere, Rugby’s Reserves thrashed St Andrews Reserves 6-2 at Kilsby Lane with Charlie Whiteside scoring a hat-trick.

Whiteside rounded the goalkeeper to put Borough into a one-nil lead before Tom Ford converted a penalty after Adam Roberts was upended in the box.

However, St Andrews pulled a goal back to reduce the deficit only for Borough to restore their two-goal advantage when Ford finished the rebound after having a second penalty saved.

And the visitors cut the deficit again early in the second half before Whiteside completed his hat-trick with a quickfire double to take the game out of St Andrews’ reach.

Zidane Mistry completed the rout with his first Rugby goal when he fired into the roof of the net.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.