FOOTBALL - Rugby Borough secure 16th straight win against Thurnby - The Rugby Observer

FOOTBALL - Rugby Borough secure 16th straight win against Thurnby

Rugby Editorial 11th Jan, 2022 Updated: 11th Jan, 2022   0

RUGBY BOROUGH earned a hard fought 2-1 victory at Thurnby Rangers to secure their 16th straight win thanks to Jordan Featherstone’s late goal.


Featherstone struck on 80 minutes after Halim Halim had put Rugby into the lead at half-time at Darkyn Road.


Thurnby equalised through former Borough man Shaun Barber only for Featherstone to snatch the points and maintain Rugby’s perfect record.


The result means Rugby remain top of the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division, one point clear of Allexton and New Parks FC with four games in-hand.


Despite Thurnby dominating the opening 10 minutes, it was Rugby who took the lead when Halim slotted home from Ash Piper’s cross from the right.


Rugby had chances to extend their lead with Featherstone, Piper and Halim all missing the target when well-placed to score to send Borough into the break one-goal ahead.


And after Rugby made a promising start to the second half, it was Thurnby who drew level as Barber curled a wonderful free-kick around the wall and past the despairing dive of Bobbie Biddle.


Borough responded with the winning goal on 80 minutes as a great team move ended with Featherstone finding the top corner from 20-yards out from Thomas Glasscoe’s pass.


Thurnby had a couple of goals disallowed for offside in the closing stages as Borough held on to secure an important win against their third-placed opponents.


Rugby are next in action at home to Gornal Athletic in the Birmingham Vase on Saturday, January 15 with kick-off at 2pm at Kilsby Lane.


Elsewhere, Borough’s Reserves played out a remarkable 5-5 draw against Rothley at Kilsby Lane.


Josh Turton opened the scoring for Rugby from Charlie Whiteside’s low cross before stand-in goalkeeper Addie Thomas saved a Rothley penalty.


The visitors eventually drew level with a fine effort from 20-yards out before Borough reclaimed the lead with another Turton goal set up by Whiteside.


Rugby looked to pull clear when Yagmur rounded the keeper before tapping home only for a quickfire double from the away side to send the teams in level at 3-3 at half-time.


Whiteside hit the crossbar from the penalty spot early in the second half before producing a great finish minutes later to restore Rugby’s lead.


However, Rothley equalised yet again before taking the lead with 10 minutes left to play only for Rugby to draw level on 86 minutes through Whiteside.


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Rugby Observer.