FOOTBALL - Valley equal club-record with 13th successive win at Easington - The Rugby Observer

FOOTBALL - Valley equal club-record with 13th successive win at Easington

Rugby Editorial 21st Feb, 2023 Updated: 21st Feb, 2023   0

RUGBY Town secured a club record equalling 13th successive league victory with a comfortable 3-0 win away at Easington Sports.

Valley took the lead through David Kolodynski’s strike before Loyiso Recci scored from the penalty spot and Edwin Ahenkorah added a third at Addison Road.

And the result means Rugby sit 17 points clear at the top of the United Counties League Premier Division South table, although the teams below them have at least two games in hand.

Chances were few and far between in the opening half-hour as Liam Francis headed over for Rugby whilst George Coombes, Elliot Barton and the lively Leam Howards were all off target for Easington.

Rugby felt they could have had two penalties with the game goalless as Kolodynski and Justin Marsden were pushed to the ground only for the referee to wave away their appeals.

The home side remained a threat as Howards forced Valley goalkeeper Matt Hill into a save with his legs before Kolodynski tested Joe White at the other end with a rising effort.

However, Carl Adams’ side eventually made the breakthrough on 32 minutes when Kolodynski produced a cool finish to beat White at his near post from Caine Elliott’s pass after good work from Alex Lock.

The visitors came close to a second just before half time when Francis’s header almost squirmed underneath White who then denied Marsden after he was released by Elliott’s quick free-kick.

Rugby looked more assured after the restart and doubled their lead on 54 minutes when Recci scored from the penalty spot after Elliott was fouled by White.

And Town were awarded another penalty six minutes later only for Recci to see his effort saved by White as he dove to his left-hand side after Marsden had his shirt tugged in the box.

The visitors missed two further chances to extend their lead as Luke English fired into the side netting from a tight angle and Marsden headed wide from Ahenkorah’s cross when left unmarked.

Valley were denied a third goal when Josh Thomas’s goalbound header from English’s long throw was cleared off the line for a corner.

However, Rugby eventually sealed the points on 82 minutes when Ahenkorah spun on the ball and fired home into the bottom corner from 10-yards out from Drew Kear’s initial header.

And both teams finished the game with 10-men after both Kolodynski and Easington defender Josh Rose were sin-binned late on for dissent.

Rugby are next in action at home to Desborough Town TONIGHT (Tuesday, February 21) with kick-off at 7.45pm at Butlin Road


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.