Rugby taste narrow defeat at Marston Green - The Rugby Observer

Rugby taste narrow defeat at Marston Green

Rugby Editorial 9th Jul, 2015 Updated: 27th Oct, 2016   0

RUGBY tasted an agonisingly narrow defeat away at Marston Green in the Warwickshire League Premier Division in what was a low-scoring affair on Saturday.

Owen Edwards won the toss on a damp wicket and his decision to bowl first was soon rewarded when Matt Ewer and Lee Golding removed both Martson openers cheaply.

Asif Ali (17) and Shazad Ali (23) rallied for the hosts to progress the score to 45/2, but a flurry of wickets left their side reeling on 69 for 7 before Martson’s tail wagged effectively.

Dean Tune (22) and Mohammed Ejaz Nawaz (27) bolstered their team’s total to 125 which looked an achievable target for Rugby.

But the reply started terribly when Rugby lost Charlie Robards in only the third ball and they were soon in trouble on 26 for 3.

Henry Wilkins was promoted to open the innings as a pinch hitter but, playing a very mature innings as wickets fell around him, found a willing partner in Raj Chohan.

They took the initial sting out Marston Green’s attack and compiled an impressive partnership that looked to have set Rugby on track for victory.

The score had moved to 71 for 3 when Chohan (16) was dismissed by Nawaz and, a few overs later, Rugby looked to be cruising home on 99 for 5.

However Wilkins was caught at slip for 62 and the wheels came off for Rugby.

Edwards (10) followed soon after and suddenly Rugby slumped to 109 for 9 and, despite the best efforts of Steve Ward (12 not out), Rugby were bowled out for 122 and lost by three runs.

Willoughby’s season in the South Northants Cricket League Division One continues to stutter as they suffered a disappointing four wicket loss away at Castlethorpe.

It was a defeat marred by a tinge of controversy as batting first the visitors were progressing nicely at 40 for 1 before some dubious LBW decisions coupled with their own failings with the bat saw Willoughby skittled out for 125.

James Barnwell top scored with 24 and he was aided by another useful knock from Danny Temple with 22.

In reply, Castlethorpe also found themselves on the ropes as they were reduced to 46 for 6, largely thanks to another five wicket haul for Marcus Fleming who took 5 for 22 in another fine ten over spell.

However that was as far as the success went as the visitors were unable to remove the pair of Iqbal and Naqvi.

The Castlethorpe pair made unbeaten knocks of 55 and 22 as the hosts reached their 126 target without further alarm.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Rugby Observer.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.