Rugby Town fight back to claim a point at ten-man Newcastle Town - The Rugby Observer

Rugby Town fight back to claim a point at ten-man Newcastle Town

Rugby Editorial 4th Jan, 2016 Updated: 27th Oct, 2016   0

RUGBY Town started the new year with a valuable point in the Northern Premier League Division One South thanks to a 2-2 draw at Newcastle Town where the home side were were reduced to ten men.

Goalkeeper David Parton was sent off on the hour mark for a second bookable offence and Valley fought back to claim a draw in Staffordshire.

Belford made only the one change from the game against Basford with Kurtis Revan coming in to replace Jake Healy.

Despite the heavy rain over the past few weeks, the pitch was in good condition although still quite slick but the opening half-an-hour was pretty forgettable with neither side creating hardly any chances.

Rob Parker hit the first shot of the match but his effort took a deflection and sailed wide of goal in the 27th minute.

The game sprung to life in the 35th minute when Newcastle scored with their first chance in front of goal. A neat build-up by the home side led Jordan Cole to score from the edge of the area and past Sam Andrew from a Harry Clayton pass.

However, Rugby responded with a terrific freekick from 20 yards out taken by the impressive Kevin Thornton after an initial foul on Parker.

The second half was much more entertaining and on 56 minutes the home side regained the lead again through Cole when a defensive error by Matthias Curley allowed the striker space and curled his effort past a helpless Andrew.

The dynamics of the game changed a couple of minutes later when home keeper Parton was sent off for handling the ball outside of the penalty area. After being booked in the first half, his time was up when the referee produced another yellow card.

Rugby sensed this was their opportunity to get back into the match and David Kolodynski had the first chance when his acrobatic effort went over the top from Steve Tower’s pass and just a minute later, he struck the bar and the rebound was saved from Tom Ryan’s header.

Rugby continued to create chances stifling any Newcastle attack with both Parker and Curley going close to equalise.

In the 80th minute, Rugby did get back into the game with that man Thornton again. He received the ball 18 yards out and with a smart swivel struck a ferocious shot past the substitute keeper and into the net. Town could not find the winner but still a decent point on the road.

Attendance: 140

Rugby Town: Andrew, Curley, Warburton, Tullin, Ryan, Towers, Powell, Parker, Kolodynski, Thornton, Revan (Healy).

Subs not used: Smith, Esso, Woods, Wilkins

Star Man: Kevin Thornton

Booked: Parker

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Rugby Observer.