Second half display flattens struggling Valley at Basford - The Rugby Observer

Second half display flattens struggling Valley at Basford

Steve Carpenter 16th Jan, 2017 Updated: 19th Jan, 2017   0

Basford United 4-0 Rugby Town

Evostik NPL – South Division

Match report by Jon Venner

FOOTBALL: A POOR second half display saw Valley end up on the wrong side of a heavy defeat in Nottingham last Saturday.

Town had more than held their own in the opening period, but still trailed it after conceding on 23 minutes. However they soon fell further behind shortly after the restart, before being reduced to ten man by the dismissal of skipper-for-the day Callum Burgess and then conceded twice more to round off a sorry trip.

There were three changes in defence for Rugby with the returning Kyle Rowley and new signing Callum Westwood coming in at full-backs, and Blaize Punter replacing the rested Mason Rowley in its centre. Aaron Moses-Garvey was also restored to the starting line-up.

After an even start to the game, the hosts found their stride twenty minutes in and could have taken the lead when striker Kieran Wells was released through on goal. Having skipped round keeper Dan Jezeph outside the area, Wells was then unable to direct his finish on target.

United did not have long to wait for the opening goal though, when Riece Bertram powered one in after Punter had failed to get sufficient distance on a headed clearance.

Town went on to create a number of decent opportunities ahead of the interval as they ended the half on top.

First home keeper Saul Deeney did well to tip a Chris Sterling effort round the post after Trey Brathwaite had made an excellent surging run into the box, and then both Moses-Garvey and David Kolodynski put their shots straight at Deeney.

The hosts struck again three minutes after the restart though, when Burgess was adjudged to have barged Tyrelle Shannon-Lewis to the floor in the penalty area – allowing Ben Hutchinson to convert from the spot.

Things went from bad to worse for Burgess and Rugby when the defender was dismissed for an off-the-ball incident, and Basford were soon further extending their lead with Shannon-Lewis finishing off a Jamie Walker cross.

Both Hutchinson and Anthony Howell headed balls wide as the home side took control of proceedings, but to their credit short-handed Valley did not throw in the towel either and Deeney tipped over Leigh Phillips’ rasping strike, before United rounded off the scoring when substitute Cardell Lubban tapped in from close range.

Another late chance of a consolation for Town saw sub Danny Campbell slice the ball over after a neat one-two with Phillips.


Advertise with the Rugby Observer to reach your audience


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Rugby Observer newspaper.